I Carrot A lot About Cake!

So I used to be a complete cake purist, to me a cake was made of butter, sugar, flour and eggs and anything else was just an impersonation of cake. However I can now say that I have been changed - but I’m not sure if it’s for the better! I’ve matured, I’ve grown and most importantly I want to eat loads of cake without feeling overly guilty 24/7. Also I ate an amazing vegan carrot cake in NYC (shout out to bareburger) which did help persuade me! Due to this I started to experiment with refined sugar free and grain free versions of my favourites, this time I decided to tackle the carrot cake. 

I know what you’re thinking - it already has carrots in it, how much healthier do you want it to get?? And 5 years ago I probably would have agreed with you! Wait.. scrap that… 5 years ago I definitely wouldn’t have touched a “cake” that contained a vegetable, but y’know I’ve changed, I’ve grown. Now not only am I eating cake with a vegetable in it but I’m actively trying to make it healthier - who’s impressed? 

So let’s get on to it. I’m not going to lie to you; the texture isn’t 100% and I skipped the cream cheese frosting because I haven’t changed that much and in my opinion cheese belongs on the savoury side of things, but don’t worry this will still definitely curb those carrot cake cravings and you can make it for the VEGAN/GLUTEN SENSITIVE/HEALTH FREAK in your life!! 

Vegan Carrot Cake (makes 20 squares): 


Ingredients: 
3 tablespoons ground chia/flax seeds
10 tablespoons water
2 cups ground almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut 
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts 
2 tablespoons potato starch 
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp ground nutmeg 
1 tsp ground ginger 
1/2 cup neutral oil - coconut, groundnut etc
1/2 cup maple syrup 
1 tbsp cider vinegar 
1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)

Nut butter of choice 

Method:
In a bowl combine the chia/flax seeds with the water and leave for 10-15mins until they have congealed. Preheat the oven to 180C. In a bowl combine the oil, maple syrup, cider vinegar and shredded carrots. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients and then pour the wet into the dry. Pour into a baking tray that is lined with baking paper and bake for 25-30 mins. Leave to cool completely and cut into squares. Drizzle with melted nut butter and top with extra shredded coconut and chopped hazelnuts 

Much Love

x


As always make sure your following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts. Feel free to share, comment and tell your friends all about Just a Hangry Girl!!!