Just the Tartare of Us

Tartare is one of those dishes that sounds super fancy, makes you seem super impressive and causes everyone to ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ when you serve it! In actuality it’s one of the simplest dishes to make as long as you have great quality ingredients. It’s also one that you can spruce up or simplify as much as you like and it’ll still taste amazing!

Whilst you can have almost anything as your base (beef, tomato, avocado?!) I’m focussing on fish, specifically salmon or tuna. And whilst many cuisines have their take on a tartare I like to stick to an asian theme when making mine! 



So what do you need exactly? 

For the basics; Super high quality fish (I get mine from the Japanese supermarket), sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, rice wine vinegar and avocado. 

If you wanna step up your game you can add things like;
Asian pancake either pan fried or baked until crisp
Seaweed salad
Spicy mayo (I like to take some of the fish, mix it with the mayo and then top my tartare with it)
Teriyaki sauce 
Sesame seeds
Spring onions 

  1. Cube your fish (I allow 100g fish per person for a starter) 
  2. Smash or cube your avocado (I allow 1/3 avocado per person for a starter). I like to add some lime juice & chilli flakes aswell
  3. Make your marinade. I never measure but do equal parts soy & rice wine vinegar, then add sesame oil & mirin to taste. You want it to be sharp but not overpowering 
  4. That’s it! Serve how you like, sometime I make an edible bowl out of baked Chinese pancakes or I stack it using a ring! There’s no right or wrong way! 

X

Much Love

As always make sure your following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts. Feel free to share, comment and tell your friends all about Just a Hangry Girl!!!