Show and Tell

Remember when you were younger and your teacher asked you to bring something in to show to the class???? Well as the name of the post suggests thats exactly what I did when I came back from Thailand and obviously what I brought back was some new recipes! As you'll come to know, every other week (usually a Thursday) my uni house does a family meal. Always themed, always ending in a food coma (sorry not sorry). The immense amount of food that I make (alongside ma sous chefs Sassy B, Hurricane Hannah and mon amie Mathilde) has caused the aforementioned housemates to blame their consumption of 'unnecessary' calories solely on me. I mean wheres the will power babes??? Whenever this accusation gets thrown around, and trust me it is mentioned on the regular, I simply remind them of the philosophy I was taught by my late grandmother, it goes:  'Dear G-d, if you can't make me skinny make all my friends fat'. I live and breathe by this, sorry friends, don't hate me xxx

Anywho back onto the gems I bought back from the beautiful island that is Koh Lanta. Much to my family (and housemate's delight) I was taught by a chef in my hotel how to make authentic Thai food that I can now share with you! Ain't you lucky, all the knowledge with none of the holiday! Wait maybe you aren't so lucky....

The dishes I made for lunch one day were: Thai Green Curry (not spicy cause I'm a baby), Pad Thai and Spring Rolls. Even on holiday I gotta satisfy my urge to cook!

This week I finally completed a whole week of uni ( FYI this is extremely unlike me) so we celebrated with Thai Night and here's how you can do the same!

WARNING: FOOD COMA x1000000000000


Ingredients



For the Pad Thai (makes enough for 4 as a 
side dish or 2 as a main course):
200g Flat Rice Noodles, pre-soaked in hot water until soft
200g Mangetout, sliced lengthways
100g Baby Corn, sliced
1/2 Sweet Potato, julienned
200g Spring Cabbage, shredded
3 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, diced
200g Peanuts, crushed
4 eggs, whisked
4 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons tamarind
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper


For the Vegetarian Spring Rolls (Makes 10 rolls):
10 Wonton Skins
1 garlic clove, diced
1/2 Sweet Potato, julienned
1 Carrot, julienned
100g Baby Corn, sliced
100g Spring Cabbage, shredded
100g Vermicelli Rice Noodles, pre-soaked in hot water until soft
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, whisked
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil + extra for deep frying


For the Thai Green Curry:
3 tablespoons Thai Green Curry Paste
400ml Coconut Milk
2 large chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 aubergine, cubed
4 Kaffir Lime Leaves, thinly sliced
1 Bunch Thai Basil, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil



Method
For the Pad Thai:
Heat the oil in wok over a high heat and add the garlic until fragrant. Add the rest of the vegetables except the spring onions and continue to cook. Once the vegetables are cooked add the noodles and season with the salt, pepper, sugar, soy, tamarind and fish sauce. Make a hole in the noodles and add the egg, start to scramble whilst starting to incorporate the noodles. Continue to stir until the egg is cooked and evenly distributed in the noodles. Add the spring onions and the peanuts, reserving some for garnish. Plate and garnish with the remaining peanuts and spring onion.

For the Vegetarian Spring Rolls:
Heat the oil in wok over a high heat and add the garlic until fragrant. Add the rest of the vegetables and continue to cook. Add the noodles and season with fish sauce, soy and sugar. Stir until incorporated and then leave to cool. Once fully cooled you can start to fill the skins. Add a tablespoon of the filling on the skin and follow the diagram, using the egg to seal at the end:
*Not my own image

Over a high flame heat the oil in a saucepan until its ready to fry the rolls. You can test it by placing a wooden stick in the saucepan and if bubbles form around it then it is ready. Fry the spring rolls individually or in small batches until golden brown. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.

For the Thai Green Curry:
Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the Thai green curry paste and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the chicken and the aubergine. Add the herbs and allow to simmer until the chicken is cooked and the aubergine is soft. Serve with jasmine rice.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!!!

Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!