Go Shawty, It's Ya Birthday!!!!

In case you didn't get the message from the title of this post, today is
MY BIRTHDAY!!!! 
As mentioned in previous posts my birthday is obviously my favourite day (more like week!) of the year, especially from a foodie point of view... I mean who doesn't like their birthday?? 

I make sure to turn my birthday into a week long event that means no one can forget what we are celebrating! This year my birth week got off to an unexpectedly strange start, lemme fill you in on the bizarre details!

So my grandpa (a.k.a the cutest man ever, but then again who's grandpa isn't??) decided to take me out to The Colony Grill (solid restaurant, highly recommend!!). Upon arrival we bumped into his friends that were going for dinner with their friends,( I know what you're thinking - this doesn't sound particularly bizarre.. but just you wait!). Anyways pleasantries were exchanged and the two couples were seated at their table, my grandpa then gives his name to the maitre'd who informs us that there is no booking in his first name, last name or my name ( not that there would be) and although my grandpa is insistent on the fact that he made a reservation for that evening at 7:45 he accepts their offer to seat us in a booth at the bar. Whilst ordering our drinks my grandpa is ferociously scanning his emails for a confirmation of his reservation (high tech I know!) and finds one! So he obviously marches up to the maitre'd and shows his evidence, only to be informed that although he had made a reservation for that day at 7:45 it was in the morning and not the evening! He then awkwardly made his way back to our booth and proceeded to drink his whiskey. Ah! but then he received a phone call from his friends we had met earlier (I hope you've been paying attention) who invited us to join their table. How could we refuse? (very easily but my grandpa is far more polite than me) So that is how my birthday dinner with my grandpa turned into me spending the evening with 5 OAPs.. bizarre right??

Anyway if I haven't bored you with my anecdote lets get on to why you're on this page... THE FOOD! When thinking of a food to blog about for my birthday I was conflicted - the obvious choice of a birthday cake was swirling around in my head but then I decided that it was far too cliche for The Hangry Girl.

So then I thought about the problem of birthdays, and do you know what that is?? They only happen once a year *wah* So these cookies are the perfect way to get a bite of birthday magic all year round. The recipe I used is from sallysbakingaddiction which I've praised many a time before! Sally is basically my baking idol and I made her snickers tart as a dessert for my birthday FND (Friday night dinner) and OH MY G-D, it was perfection! But let's not get side tracked, eh? So here is my (well technically Sally's, but we can share credit...right?) recipe for Cake Batter Cookies:


Ingredients: 
160g all-purpose flour 
190g boxed cake mix 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
170g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
100g granulated sugar
100g packed light brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
180g chocolate chips, I like a combo of white and milk
80g sprinkles

Method:
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside. Cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute, add the vanilla and beat on high until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low-medium speed until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and sprinkles. Mix on low until the add-ins are evenly disbursed. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, or up to 3-4 days. Once dough has been chilled, preheat oven to 170C. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Scoop rounded balls of the cold dough onto an ungreased baking sheet, use about 1.5 Tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie. Shape your cookie dough balls to be "taller" than they are wide, to help them not spread as much. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned. The centers will still appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!