Chicken or Beef?

In my world, food makes E V E R Y T H I N G better, a philosophy you have probably been acquainted  with along the way from this blog. Bad Exam? Mac 'n' Cheese. Heartbreak? Brownies.  Hungover? Grilled Cheese. Time of the month? All of the above (x200)

One dish I can always turn to in times of crisis is a really good burger! On a bad day I'll take it with the bun, fries, onion rings and cheese...ahhhh! In a less depressive mood I'll sub the bread for portobello mushrooms and the fries will be of the baked sweet potato variety - still just as good! The main dilemma I'll have? Chicken or Beef! To many there is no competition - classic beef every time! Up until a couple of years ago I would've definitely agree with those people, but now you could say I've been converted! Originally I associated a chicken burger with a dry chicken breast in an even drier bun... YUCK! However it was on my quest to lower the amount of red meat I eat that I came across chicken mince. Though easily confused with turkey mince it couldn't be further from it. I find turkey mince to be dry and severely lacking in flavour, chicken mince on the other hand is juicy and full of flavour WOOH! And that is how my chicken burgers were invented!

The recipe is a slight adaption of my beef burger recipe (previously featured on the Instagram.. GO FOLLOW NOW xx) due to the different texture and flavour of the chicken mince. Take out the egg, add some extra matzah meal/breadcrumbs and BAM you have a perfect chicken burger. The one shown below is with oven baked chunky chips (simply seasoned with paprika) on a bun from BreadAhead in Borough Market (go check them out!!) and a beaut basil aioli (recipe not featured but let me know if you want it!!)

So go ahead and make the beef for chicken trade, you won't regret it!!


Makes 4 Chicken Burgers: 



Ingredients:
1lb Chicken Mince
2 Red onions, finely diced
1 Garlic clove, finely diced
1 cup Matzah meal or breadcrumbs

Method: 
Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil over a medium heat, once hot add onions and garlic and sauté. Once cooked set aside to cool (you can speed up this process by putting them in the fridge/freezer). Once completely cooled add the onions/garlic to the minced chicken and fold in. Add the matzah meal or breadcrumbs and fold again. Form into 4 patties. I like to let mine firm up in the fridge for 20 mins but they should be ok without. As this is for a more healthy meal I bake mine in the oven at 180C for 20mins until fully cooked through, you can use a frying pan instead to get a golden crust.


Enjoy!!

Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!