Do you want a piece of me??

If you’ve been with me from the start or taken a gander through my feed you’ll know that my one passion is baking cakes. Whether it be for birthdays, anniversaries or just cause sometimes you need a bite of cake I am always happy to fulfil that cakeless void. But the cake has got to be the focal point of any celebration. The cake comes first, not the people! The baker who inspires me the most when it comes to the aesthetic of the cake has got to be Georgia from ‘Georgia’s Cakes’. O. M. G. She’s definitely my cake crush of all time. Anytime I’m stuck on an idea for a cake I go straight to her Instagram page and you should too!! 

So this week it was my humble sous chef Sassy B's birthday so obviously I had to make a cake. I was given strict instructions that it: 
HAD to be a rainbow cake, it HAD to have ganache drips and most importantly it HAD to be covered in sweets!! So that is exactly what I did! 

I’m going to give a step by step account of how to decorate the cake as well as this pretty cool video! Hope you enjoy!




Step 1: Ensuring your cakes are cooled start to layer them with butter cream in the middle. then add a light layer around the sides so all the cake is all packed together. This is called crumb coating. Leave in the fridge for 6+ hours to firm. 

Step 2: Colour your butter cream and put in piping bags without nozzles. Pipe alternating strips of colour using a lot of butter cream (don’t worry the excess will be removed) 

Step 3: Using a bench scraper place it vertically against the cake and scrape the butter cream off as you turn the cake so that you end up with a light amount of butter cream and the colours have blended. Make sure you scrape in the same direction each time if you want distinguishable layers. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to firm. 

Step 4: Create a simple ganache by mixing equal parts of hot cream with shaved chocolate and stirring until a smooth liquid is formed. Allow to cool so that the chocolate doesn’t melt the butter cream.

Step 5: Pour the ganache on the top of the cake, pushing it outward with a palette knife, very gently so gradual drips occur. I like to add the ganache a little at a time to ensure I can control the drips. 

Step 6: Now it’s time to decorate! I don’t tend to have a system or plan just place your toppings where you see fit!

Et voila! 










Would love to see all your creations! 


Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!