Pasta 101

People often joke that I have seen every TV show available to mankind. Whether it be via Sky, Amazon Prime or Netflix chances are I've probably watched it. I will give almost any TV show a try be it drama, reality, crime you name it, I don’t discriminate based on genre! Because of my extensive viewing list I find it hard to whittle it down to just one show when asked the standard question; ‘What's your favourite TV show?’. However there is one that always reigns supreme and grips me in whenever it's on 

Drumroll please…


MASTERCHEF
What's not to love? There's drama, intensity and most importantly FOOD!
Professional, Celebrity, Amateur - I’ll take it all thanks!
As a self confessed food obsessor Masterchef not only inspires me to cook but to be a better cook. Though I will probably never enter the competition I always like to make sure I’m ready! So what does that mean? Being able to make pasta of course! 

Every time an invention test is thrown their way I always try to guess what they will make and imagine what I would make. The one thing you can rely on is that at least one contestant will turn to the trusted pasta machine. Every. Single. Time! I noticed this during this season and something irked at me:

SASHA YOU CAN’T MAKE FRESH PASTA!!!!

How have I gotten this far in life without such a basic, yet essential, skill?? Frankly I was ashamed in myself. I was even more ashamed by the fact that I have owned a pasta machine for 6 years and have only attempted to use it once! I decided that it would be the last time I could say that! 

After a few attempts here is my recipe for Truffled Mushroom Goats Cheese Ravioli, though you could fill it with whatever you choose or turn the dough into spaghetti or any other type of pasta, the pastabilities are endless!!! (aha I made myself laugh, but I probably didn’t make you..whoops) 

Not only is there a beaut picture of this dish but I also decided to use my shiny new camera to make a video for the dough as it can be quite confusing! 

Makes 2-3 portions of ravioli 

For the Filling: 
Ingredients
300g assortment mushrooms, roughly chopped
3 banana shallots, roughly diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
25g butter
100g soft goats cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method
Melt the butter in a pan over a medium-high heat. Once hot add the garlic and shallots and sauté. Once slightly caramelised add the mushrooms and continue sautéing. Once cooked add to a blender and blend until it resembles a smooth paste. Fold this into the goats cheese, salt and pepper to taste and leave to cool down. Once cooled transfer to a piping bag. 

For the Pasta Dough: 
Ingredients
1 cup Pasta flour
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg for brushing, whisked
Truffles to serve 





Method
On a large, clean work surface, pour flour into a mound and make a well in the center. Add the egg, yolks and salt into the well and, using a fork, beat thoroughly.Once combined gradually start to incorporate the flour. You can start using your hand once the fork becomes inadequate. Using a bench knife scrape excess dough from fork and fingers and form a ball. Press the heel of your hand into the ball of dough, pushing forward and down. Rotate the ball 45 degrees and repeat. Continue until dough develops a smooth, elastic texture. If dough feels too wet, add flour in 1 teaspoon at a time, if the dough feels too dry, add water slowly. Once the dough is ready, tightly wrap it in clingfilm and leave to rest for 30mins. Unwrap rested dough and cut into quarters. Set one quarter on work surface and re-wrap remaining dough. With a rolling pin, flatten the quarter of dough into an oblong shape about 1/2 inch thick. Set pasta machine to widest setting and pass dough 3 times through the machine at this setting. Fold both ends in so that they meet at the center of the dough, and then fold the dough in half where the end points meet, trying not to incorporate too much air into the folds. Using rolling pin, flatten dough to 1/2-inch thick. Pass through the rollers 3 additional times. Narrow the setting by 1 notch and repeat twice. Continue passing the dough through the rollers, reducing the thickness by 1 setting each time until it reaches the desired thickness. It should now be very delicate and elastic to the touch, and slightly translucent. Place rolled dough onto a work surface or baking sheet lightly dusted with flour or lined with parchment paper. Cover dough with cling film or a kitchen towel to prevent drying, then repeat the process with remaining dough quarters. Once all four sheets have been rolled out you can begin to assemble the ravioli. Pipe the filling onto two of the sheets, leaving enough space in between for a border. Brush around the filling with the egg and place the other sheets of pasta over the sheets with the filling. Press around the filling, ensuring there are no air bubbles. Using a cookie cutter cut the ravioli, ensuring there is a border around the filling. Repeat until all ravioli have been made. As they are fresh they will only take 3-4 minutes to cook so add to gently boiling water. Once cooked I made a quick brown butter truffle sauce by melting butter in a pan for 5 minutes until it had browned then adding shaved truffle and then finally adding the ravioli and tossing it in the truffled browned butter. Serve with freshly shaved parmesan. 

As mentioned before you can do any filling you like or cut the dough into strips to make spaghetti!! 

Much Love 

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!