Cloud Eggs: Fab or Fad?

Cloud Eggs, even the sound of them is a bit strange. Do they look like clouds? Do they taste of clouds?! Who even thought to make them and name them cloud eggs??? Sooo many questions!

But for those who haven't been living under a social media rock you will know exactly what cloud eggs are but for those of you who have, the idea of a cloud egg are whipped, fluffy egg whites with a runny yolk. The newest egg craze has been all over my feed so I thought I should get on the bandwagon and give it a go. Well I can safely say that I got off the bandwagon as quickly as I got on it; I just don't understand the obsession! Even before I tried them I was extremely sceptical. Wouldn't the egg whites taste like underdone meringues? Would they even taste of anything? Would it even feel like I was eating something??? 

Well I think all my fears were completely reasonable and were definitely not reassured after trying them. In my opinion the egg whites did taste like undercooked meringue but worse as there was no sugar! It sounds weird to say but they tasted eggy! I know they are eggs but its like the bad type of eggy, do you know what I mean??? Personally I just don't see the point in going the extra effort to whip the egg whites for them to taste worse and have the weirdest texture! Sure they make an Insta worthy post but I know I'll never order them in a restaurant! That being said, there are definitely worse thing that I could've eaten (I let you know when I come across them!) but I fully encourage all of you to try them out and decide for yourself!

For 2 Cloud Eggs:



Ingredients:
2 eggs, separated

Method:
Using a hand or electric (preffered) whisk, whip the egg whites until it reaches soft peaks. On a baking tray spoon the egg whites into two mounds creating a dip in the middle (this is where the yolk will go). Bake in the oven for 5 mins at 180C. Once cooked, put the egg yolk in the well and cook for a further 3minutes. Serve with whatever you prefer! I obviously went for smoked salmon and avocado on GF toast!

Would love to see all your creations so make sure you tag @justahangrygirl in anything you post! 


Much Love

x


As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!