#MeatlessMondays

Please loyal meat-eating reader do not close this tab!!! I'm here to completely change everyones negative opinions on veggie burgers. I know, thats a tall order!

I'm guessing that like me, the majority of you wouldn't dare order a veggie burger at a restaurant and especially wouldn't attempt to make one at home out of choice, right? They are notoriously thought of as dry, flavourless and just generally lack lustre so I felt like they needed an image makeover! I know you're probably wondering why I would care about veggie burgers seeing as I am definitely a carnivore through and through but even I can appreciate that going meat-free once a week does have its benefits! Not only does vegetarianism have benefits for your health and wellbeing but it also has positive effects for the planet, win-win! Though I couldn't do this full time!

So let's get going with these veggie burgers! Quinoa, chickpea and optional feta if you want to keep it vegan, what more could you want from a meatless meal?? Because of these ingredients the burgers are full of protein so you definitely won't be missing out even though you're missing the meat! Trying to keep this meal as healthy as possible I traded the normal bread bun for a portobello mushroom, topped with avocado, lettuce and special spicy mayo and served with aubergine fries (essentially aubergine cut into the shape of a chip and baked in the oven)! These have been tried and tested with the help of my loyal Sassy B (psssst have you seen the cake I made for her birthday??! go check out my latest post!!)

Vegetarian Burgers for 4 



Ingredients: 
400g Canned Chickpea, drained but save some of the liquid (aquafaba) to help bind the burger
100g Cooked Quinoa
50g Feta, crumbled (can be swapped for a different cheese though the feta adds a salty/tangy element)
2 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 Teaspoon Garlic Granules
Salt and Pepper to taste
Coconut oil

Method: In a bowl mash the drained chickpea and cooked quinoa until a smooth-ish paste is formed. Stir in the spices and feta until combined and add some of the saved aquafaba to help bind until the mix sticks together well enough to form patties. Shape into 4 patties, I found lightly oiling my hands helped to form them. Heat a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil (or any other oil of choice) in a frying pan and add the patties, two at a time. Cook for about 4-6 mins on each side or until a golden crust is formed. As the patties do not have anything that needs to be cooked through there is no strict cooking time. Serve with the accompaniments of your choice! Enjoy!


Would love to see all your creations so make sure you tag @justahangrygirl in anything you post! 


Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!