Just A Hangry... VEGAN???!!

So before this post goes any further I AM NOT A VEGAN! Just wanted to make sure that was made clear from the get go, so you can all calm down; I still love a good cheeseburger as much as the next carnivore!

However if you have been following my insta stories recently (if you haven't then SHAME ON YOU p.s. follow me!) you might have seen that I've been experimenting a lot with vegan/vegetarian recipes, and trust me that is a sentence I never thought I'd be saying (/writing?)!. What caused this sudden change of heart you ask? A documentary on Netflix called "What the Health". I honestly never thought I'd be one of those people that is easily persuaded by a documentary but this one is just something else. It explores the negative effects that ingesting animal products can have on your digestive system/body/life in general. I've always believed that a 'healthy' lifestyle consisted on lots of meat/fish/chicken and veggies with small amounts of carbohydrates, however this may not be the case. The documentary discusses how 'we' as humans don't actually need animal protein and can get all our necessary protein from animal products as well as how eating animal products can actually harm us.

I'm not gonna continue cause it's not everyones thing however I really do recommend watching it and it did take me a while to be convinced to watching it but I'm glad that I did cause it has given me a new perspective on what I eat.

But if I'm not now a vegan/vegetarian then what difference did it actually make? Look I'm a carnivore through and through even if that isn't what mother nature intended, however I have now realised that cutting down my animal products and sourcing protein from plant based foods can be really beneficial, especially eggs. I know! The self-professed queen of eggs is cutting down on them!! So much that I haven't had an egg since I watched the documentary!!! Instead I've been experimenting with tofu scramble (nice taste, weird texture) and hummus with falafel for breakfast! I get that it sounds weird but once you get over the fact that you're having a 'lunch food' for breakfast then its pretty yum. And who decides what is a 'breakfast food' anyway, eh?????

So to summarise my little essay/rant; watch What the Health (tell me your thoughts!!), I haven't eaten eggs in 2 weeks and society's decision on what food is for what meal sucks (deep I know).

So in an effort to convince you all that animal free meals don't have to be bland, boring and dissatisfying I thought I'd give you not 1 but 2 (!!!) vegan recipes that aren't complicated and are super filling and tasty! I even had them post BOXR (my new exercise obsession, go check it out!) and they were the perfect post-workout refuel!!!

Buffalo Crispy Cauliflower (makes enough for 3-4 people with salad/sides):



Ingredients
1 Head of Cauliflower, separated into florets
4 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (or any preferred oil)
50g Desiccated Coconut Shavings
50g Almond Meal
1/3 cup Honey
1/4 cup Hot Water
1 tbsp Cornstarch
2 tbsp Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Siracha (add more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
1 clove garlic diced

Method
Preheat oven to 180C. Coat cauliflower florets with olive oil. In a bag combine the coconut with the almond and coat the cauliflower in this mix. Bake in oven until crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside. While the cauliflower is baking, combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and boil until thickened. Once the sauce has reached a honey consistency set aside. Once the cauliflower is cooked toss in the sauce. Serve as a side or in a main meal like I did. I served mine with a simple salad of leaves, avocado, blanched broccoli, spring onion and grilled aubergine wedges.

Sweet Potato and Aubergine 'Burger' (Makes 2 patties):



Ingredients:
1 Sweet Potato, diced and boil until soft
1/2 Aubergine, finely diced
3 tbsp flour ( I use GF rice flour)
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp sumac
1 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper

Method
In a frying pan sauté the aubergine with 3 tablespoons of oil on a medium heat. Cook until browned and soft (approx 20 mins). Mash the sweet potato and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the aubergine. Add more flour if needed. Shape into patties and leave in the fridge for 30mins-1hr to firm up. Fry in a frying pan until golden brown and hot all the way through. I served mine with a portobello mushroom 'bun, smashed avo (ofc) and a 'spicy' slaw made with shredded cabbage, chives, spicy mayo and vinegar.

If you're a carnivore I hope you take the plunge and try out one of these recipes and if you're already vegan/veggie then hopefully you add these to your weekly meal rotation!!!

Whether carnivore or herbivore I hope you enjoy!!!

Would love to see all your creations so make sure you tag @justahangrygirl in anything you post or send me a DM or email! 


Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!