Just a Hangry Review: Peaz Pasta

What if I told you that you could get pasta that didn't leave you feeling guilty at the end of the bowl? 





With this chickpea pasta you're getting 2.5 X the amount of protein, 3X more fibre and HALF the carbs than your regular bowl of pasta! It's also both gluten and soy free as well as being suitable for vegans!  But I know you're thinking it must be too good to be true, right? WRONG!! The taste and texture bears the most similar to the good stuff than any other pasta replacement product I've tried - HONESTLY!!

As a person who is both gluten intolerant and semi health conscious as well as a pasta addict I've scoured the shelves in the hopes of something that will satisfy my hunger for pasta. Up until trying Peaz my best option was Waitrose Own Green Pea or Red Lentil Pasta - both solid options, however texturally they just don't compare. Another great thing about Peaz is its appearance! Most other pasta replacements look strange either from shape or colour however Peaz could blend right in with normal pasta. Big whoop I know but this can be especially useful for someone who wants to trick another person into eating it or if they want to disguise their own dish whilst making the same for less health conscious or gluten able friends!

However it isn't all sunshine and roses, I did find that the pasta had a slightly starchy coating over it after cooking, but I resolved this by running under water and then tossing in a little olive oil - SORTED! I also am sceptical about whether it will be able to handle heavier sauces or potentially further cooking it if making a pasta bake or my fav Goats Cheese Al Forno but I haven't tested my theory so I'm speculating! I've also only tried the penne so I am interested to see how any other shaped pasta might taste or feel different.

Anyways my overall verdict is an 8/10 and I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

As it wouldn't be fair to talk about pasta and not give you a recipe for it, here is my easy (and slightly more healthy) version of pesto that I had with my Peaz pasta alongside some roasted veg!

Healthy-ish Pesto (Makes enough for about 4 pasta servings)


Ingredients
25g Fresh Basil
25g Toasted Pine Nuts
25g Boiled Green Beans
1 Garlic Clove, finely diced
25g Hard Cheese ( optional, I used a hard goats cheese, you could use parmesan if you'd prefer)
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method
In a food processor blend the basil, pine nuts green beans and garlic until finely chopped. Blend in the cheese and then slowly add the oil, allowing it to thicken and emulsify. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, sometimes I add chilli flakes for a nice kick! If you want it thicker then whisk in some more olive oil.

Would love to see all your creations so make sure you tag @justahangrygirl and @getpeaz in anything you post or send me a DM/email! 

You can order Peaz from their website: www.getpeaz.com

Also if you're a newly found food brand or just coming out with a fun new product hit me up, I'd love to try it out - especially if it's  a gluten-free/dairy-free/ animal product free/healthier alternative!!


Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!