The Bao Is Back

And so am I!!! Apologies for being so MIA recently I can't believe that this is only my second post in September!! But don't worry I'll be back at uni soon and in dire need of a form of procrastination so many recipes will be thrown your way. Since my last post I've done some travelling in America which may or may not have included driving 17hrs from Florida to New Jersey in a bid to escape Hurricane Irma - as you've probably guessed we succeeded! It also include a helluva lot of eating, no matter how many times I go stateside I still can't deal with the fact that in most brunch places you order an omelette and it automatically comes with a side of toast, homefries and pancakes!! Its madness, thank g-d I don't live there cause I'd deff be the size of a small country by now!

But in all seriousness I thoroughly recommend the following NYC restaurants (there's loads more but these are my most recent ones I've tried, hit me up if you want more!!); Union Fare for brunch (OMG the bread basket, you need THAT bread basket in your life!!), Russ & Daughters for the best bagel ever!! Sweetgreens for a lowkey lunch or dinner (think chopt or toss'd x1000) and Vandal for one of the coolest restaurant interiors (and obviously food) choices around!!

Anyway onto what you've probably visited this page for; the recipe! If you've been following my social media accounts (GO DO NOW!) you may have seen me advertising a cookbook called 'Simply Food For You' and this recipe is based off one of those recipes. The cookbook is in aid of a charity in memory of my grandma Sara who was an amazing chef and taught me a lot of what I know. The money raised is going towards building a cafe in a home for people with disabilities and will give those people a place to work and make their own money through cooking; pretty cool huh? (if you want to buy it go to www.simplyfoodforyou.org.uk - I've even got my own recipe in there!)


So in the book there is a chicken satay recipe which I've tried from the original chef and oh my is it amazing but obviously I wanted to put my own spin on it. So I've subbed the chicken for smoked tofu which makes #MeatlessMonday certified and put it in a soft bao bun with some spicy miso slaw (also in the cookbook) I'll give you the satay recipe but as an incentive, you'll have to buy the book for the slaw (hehehe)

So here is it Smoked Tofu Satay Bao Buns with Spicy Miso Slaw makes enough for 6-8 buns:

Bao Buns: I hate to admit it but I've only ever bought these, I really need to learn how to make them from scratch!! You can get them from an Asian supermarket and once I've learnt I'll let you know!!


For the Satay:
Ingredients
200g smoked tofu, sliced
2 limes, juiced
1/2tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chilli flakes or 1 chilli chopped and deseeded
2 garlic cloves
2.5cm piece ginger
100ml coconut milk
80g crunchy peanut butter
2tbsp soy sauce

Method
To make the marinade combine all ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a paste. Marinade the tofu for 2-4 hours (the longer the better!). Once marinaded cook the tofu on a hot griddle until the marinade has turned into a nice crust, turning as necessary. Once cooked assemble the bao buns with the tofu and some form of asian salad!


Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!