I Donut Care!

Apologies in advance but the following dish in no way tastes like a donut and only vaguely resembles one, but loyal readers please put your pitchforks down and continue to read because trust me on this - you're def gonna wanna make it!!

So you've had sushi (well I hope you have cause otherwise we most certainly cannot be friends), I've then introduced you to sushi pizza (sounds weird is actually amazing), teased you with sushi nachos (assuming you've seen my insta story this week *cough* go follow *cough*) and now I bring you my latest sushi hybrid:

SUSHI DONUTS!!!

If you're brain works in a similar way to my parents you're currently having visions of fried dough combined with raw fish and a wave of nausea is coming over you. Relax! This definitely is not that!!

If you're brain works like mine (probably not, its fairly unique) then you're thinking of sushi rice and the classic sushi fillings in donut shape. BINGO - 'cos thats exactly what this is!


I'm not going to attempt to take creative credit for this idea as I've seen it floating around on the internet for quite some months now and finally decided to take a stab at it. It's not a conventional recipe so I can't lay it out that way but the ingredients are; sushi rice cooked according to packet instructions and seasoned with some sugar and rice wine vinegar plus all your fav sushi fillings. I chose spicy tuna, spicy salmon, tuna sashimi, salmon sashimi, masago (fish roe), avocado, seaweed, crispy onions and sesame seeds.

To make it you line a donut mould tray with cling film, then press rice into the mould. I decided to fill the inside of my doughnut with chopped spicy tuna and did this by making a dent in the rice, filling it in with tuna then placing another layer of rice over it. Make sure that the rice is packed super tight and then flip the mould over to release the rice donut. Trim any excess rice from the edges to ensure that perfect donut shape. Place your other toppings over the donut. You can serve it on a piece of nori to help eat it with your hands as when you take a bite it starts to fall apart! I've made a super quick video that shows this process better!


Sushi donuts are perfect for beginners who want to make sushi without the hassle of the process of making rolls or for those that are bored of traditional sushi!


Switch up your toppings to suit you! If you don't like raw fish choose salmon teriyaki or blackened cod! Vegetarian? Try some pickled radishes and fresh cucumber! I always love to see your versions of my recipes so tag me in anything you make from Just a Hangry Girl!

Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!