Quit Ya Waffling

Right, so as the title of the post suggest, I'm just going to get straight in there with this recipe. No long schpiel or boring backstory, just the recipe plain and simple.

Actually I can't do that straight away cos I feel that in order to understand the recipe you gotta understand the background, which requires a bit of storytelling - but I promise to make it quick (-ish! don't hate me xxxxx)

So anyway as you're probably aware Ive recently come back from America - and boy was it a culinary experience! Obviously me being me I went to some amazing restaurants and ate a helluva lot but it was also interesting trying some new things! For example pizza by the slice - revolutionary and needs to exist in the UK RIGHT NOW!! Preferably in Notts cause thats when I need pizza the most. Also southern biscuits - think of a cross between a scone and a pastry; flaky, buttery and surprisingly good with an omelette! Anyway the main dish I was fascinated by was Fried Chicken and Waffles, a lesser known concept on this side of the pond tho I'm sure many of you will have heard of it. Hot and fresh fried chicken, crispy waffle and usually loaded with some sweet maple syrup. It sound good and bad but trust me its all goood! (Side Note: I've also become obsessed with the song Chicken Fried which is probably unrelated but I still felt it was necessary that you knew)

Naturally after trying it I A. Craved it ever since, B.Felt some guilt after consuming it and C. Needed to recreate it. Desperate not to disappoint my mother by actually frying chicken and *gasp* eat a waffle *gasp* I decided to switch it up in the attempt to make a healthier version. I'm no nutritionist so don't actually quote me on this being any good for you, however basic common sense would stand to reason that switching fried for grilled and throwing in some veggies has gotta be better than the alternative - right?

So here we have a Sweet Potato Waffle with Middle Eastern Chicken Drumsticks and a Sweet Tahini Dressing; it satisfies 97% of the fried chicken and waffle cravings!




For the Waffle (makes 2): 
Ingredients 
1 Sweet Potato
1/3 cup milk, I used almond milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
Salt, pepper and some paprika

Method
Bake the sweet potato at 180C for approx. 45 minutes or until fully cooked through. Allow to cool and once able to handle scoop the flesh out and place in a blender. Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and all is incorporated. Heat your waffle maker to the medium/dark setting and once ready grease with a touch of oil then scoop in the mix. Close and let cook until slightly browned and releases easy.

For the Chicken ( I would do 2 drumsticks per person):




Ingredients 
4 Chicken Drumsticks
2 tablespoons sumac
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground garlic
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Salt and Pepper
3 tablespoons oil, I like to use Avocado Oil

Method
Combine all spices with oil in a bowl until it resembles a loose paste. Coat the drumsticks in it and set aside to marinate for at least 20mins. Place in an ovenproof dish and bake for 30-40mins at 180C until skin is crispy and chicken it fully cooked through.

For the Dressing: 
Ingredients
3 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Method
Combine all in a bowl and add some water until desired consistency is reached, I like mine a touch runnier than honey.

Assemble together and Enjoy!!!

P.S If you swap the paprika in the waffle for some cinnamon this would make a great sweet breakfast and is part of your 5-a-day!!

Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!