The way the cookie crumbles

A cookie a day keeps the doctor away - right? Sadly I'm not so sure thats the saying though I would prefer it to be!

My sweet tooth is no secret and certainly no joke, it also knows no rules. Chocolate for breakfast? Sure! Cookies for lunch? Go ahead! Cake for dinner? Yes please. However I'm not so sure this would be the most sustainable lifestyle *cry for me*. Couple this with my intolerances to dairy and gluten and I have started to realise I should really step away from the sweet stuff - though this too I know is not sustainable either.

So this, along with some major inspiration from food bloggers such as @cerealandpeanutbutter  and @rachlmansfield got me thinking that maybe it doesn't have to be one or the other, maybe I could try and make some healthier versions to help me out when I'm in deep need of the sweet stuff!

Don't get me wrong, I'm no nutritionist so I'm sure these aren't actually good for you but the fact that they are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and have no added sugar has gotta count for something right? And before you start rolling your eyes, trust me on the fact that they actually taste pretty amazing!! The secret ingredient? Dates! Though I only like my dates in sticky toffee pudding form it got me to realise that the taste of the pudding really comes from the dates so I guess these cookies could kinda be described as a nutty version of it?? I don't really know how to describe them to show off their true glory so I guess you'll just have to go and make them yourself!!


Healthy (ish!) Almond Cookies (makes 12 cookies) 

Ingredients: 
250g dates
1/4 cup hot water
Egg replacement; 1tbsp ground chia seeds with 3 tbsp hot water for 15mins (would probably work with an egg if you'd rather but I haven't actually tried it out yet)
150g almond butter (feel free to use any nut/seed butter you prefer)
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp cinnamon
50g dark chocolate, melted (completely optional and mainly for decoration purposes)

Method: 
In a bowl combine the ground chia seeds with the water and leave to sit for at least 15mins. In a food processor blend the dates with the hot water until a smooth paste is formed. Add the date mixture to the rest of the ingredients (including the chia 'egg') and mix until combined. The mixture may be a bit sticky at this stage so be sure to wet your hands before moulding the mixture into balls. Place on a baking tray, leaving space in between (they won't spread too much). Then using a fork press down on the cookies to create a crisscross pattern. Bake for 25mins at 180C. Once cooled if using the chocolate, dip the cookies halfway in and allow to set. Dig in!!




Be sure to check out my other healthy-dish recipe for sweet potato brownies! Or if you're wanting a more guilt-filled treat definitely make my slutty brownies!!

Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!