Dairy Free Pesto? Gotta Hass It!

I LOVE pesto, honestly I don’t think there’s a pasta sauce better than it - controversial I know! I don’t even reserve it just for pasta; eggs, toast and chicken are all solid vehicles for my pesto obsession! My major thing about pesto though is that it’s gotta be homemade!! Both the texture and taste is just miles better. Granted if I’m being lazy or can’t find basil in the supermarket I’ll grab a jar of it but trust me it’s so much more satisfying making it from scratch! 

One thing I did notice when I started to perfect my recipe for pesto is that the traditional versions call for a lot of oil and cheese; both of which I try to abstain from in daily eating as much as possible. So that began my quest for a dairy free and healthier pesto recipe - enter Avocado Pesto! 
Avocado is perfect for this as it gives it the perfect creamy texture and although it’s a fat it’s a healthy fat!! I season it with nutritional yeast flakes (I’m still undecided on these they kinda confuse me but hey ho!) and white miso paste (yes that stuff from Japan)! Both are strong with umami which gives it that cheesy taste without the dairy. WINNING!! 

I usually pair it with a gluten free pasta, extra pine nuts and sometimes roasted veg! However you choose to have it you’ve gotta try it! Though I warn you once you do you’ll never go back to the jarred stuff!


Vegan Avocado Pesto: 



Ingredients
1/2 Avocado, ripe 
1/4 cup Pine nuts, toasted 
1 cup Fresh Basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1tsp white miso paste
Chilli Flakes (optional)

Method
Blitz in a blender until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasoning to your preference. 





Much Love

x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!