When Quinoa met Granola

It's not often that I share breakfast recipes that are not centred around eggs and if you ever ask me I will say that eggs still reign supreme in the world of breakfast foods. However I understand not everyone shares this infinite love of eggs with me and sometimes I too feel the need to switch over to the sweet side of breakfast. However I wouldn't necessarily call granola a breakfast food - it's just an anytime food! Sure if you wanna go sprinkle it on your yoghurt in the morning then go ahead but I'm definitely more of a granola-for-a-snack/dessert/random times of the day kind of person. But I guess it doesn't really matter when you eat it or for what purpose, just as long as you understand the greatness that is granola.


So let me clue you in on MY granola. You may be thinking; 'quinoa with granola, now thats a step too far' but y'know what? You'd be wrong!! Obviously I'm not talking about the traditional boil and put in a salad type of quinoa - although I wouldn't be opposed to trying that out in a granola! No I'm talking about puffed quinoa which basically mimics puffed rice - more  commonly known as rice crispies! I wanted to use this in a granola recipe because A. They're naturally gluten free and B. They aren't as carb-heavy as oats (which isn't a bad thing!) meaning that I don't feel like such a pig for eating a whole batch at once (I probs still should tho!). This granola is also sweetened using a combo of maple syrup and honey so that it has that sweetness but in an unrefined way as well as helping to bind the granola into small clusters (makes it more snack friendly). If you're vegan you can just swap the honey for all maple syrup and also feel free to swap the seeds for nuts or a combination! If you want to see other variations of granola or more traditional forms, just let me know and I'll get experimenting!

Chocolate Quinoa Granola




Ingredients
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 cups quinoa puffs
1/4 cup cacao
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted

Method
In a bowl combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, honey and cacao until a smooth liquid is formed. Toss in the quinoa puffs, coconut and seeds and mix until combined and all is evenly coated in the chocolate. Spread on a baking tray and bake for 10-15mins at 180C until slightly crispy. Allow to cool as it will crisp up further in the process. Transfer to an airtight container. It will last for 2-3weeks although I doubt it will take you that long!

Much Love
x

As always make sure you're following me on Insta and Facebook for more recipes in between blog posts and stories. Feel free to share, comment and tell all your friends about Just a Hangry Girl!!